Nicole - Just an Illusion

"I think we are all insecure, and there is nothing wrong in accepting that. But the problem arises when we try to counter this insecurity by cultivating this illusion of control, and we start taking ourselves and everything we know too seriously."

Mirror F

F

You, the Writer

What was your writing identity prior to the course?

Myself as a writer, I identified as a poor writer with only the skills I had learned in 2017 when I had first taken this course. I didn’t believe I would improve by taking this course again and that it would just be a repeat of last year. I didn’t have the confidence to improve.

What is your writing identity now?

I am an advid writer now. I am still that silent girl in the corner of the room with her big cat eat headphones on, silently waiting and listening. I write now and I will continue to write as the years go on. I have never been happier with my writing. Sure, it may not be perfect, but it’s better than it was and I can give thanks to the people who gave me feedback and continue to read my stories. It gives me the confidence to keep improving and writing even when it may not be for any specific reason.

Reflect on your development as a writer.

Genre: Fiction/Fantasy. I mostly write from personal experience, fiction, and descriptive literature. I tend to go overboard with my descriptive pieces and my personal ones but that just gives you more insight into my heart and mind and that’s what writing is all about. In the past, I wouldn’t let anyone see into my head at all. I liked the peace of my thoughts and keeping them private but then I joined Creative Writing. Silence didn’t last long. Everyone knows me now for my fictional pieces and thats what I aim to have them see as well as my personality.

Ideas: All of my ideas come from personal experience, objects, or other people’s writing, or my own personal experience. I write for myself, not for the benefit of others. My ideas come in flashes and bursts and unless I don’t have access to a computer or a piece of paper, It will be recorded for later so that I can write about it in a new post or page.

Details: I am a visual person so details in my writing are extremely important to me. If I can get the reader to visualize the same thing that I do, then my job is complete. It has always been like that. I am OCD so I see details more prominently than the average person and the need to describe what I see is very strong. Sometimes though, details are a bad thing and too much detail is boring and cofusing, I have learned to tone that down a bit and add just enough decription to something to have my readers understand what it is.

Structure: I am happy with my structuring now. Sure, its not great but at least its unique. I have played with the structure of my writing for a while and I finally have a style of structure for each of my different writing formats. Overall, i’m quite happy with how its turning out.

Voice and style: I do believe that my mind speaks volumes. My words are all the voice I need and you can find them all on my blog because you will never hear them from me. My blog is the only place where I can let my past, present, and future out. My emotions, my traumas, my experiences, my everything can be put on that blog and I wouldn’t have a single regret. My style has changed dramatically now that I have a different form of inspiration. Now I can talk about my blog and all of my worries because the mask has been broken and now I have nothing to hide.

GUMPS: I still have a few problems with GUMPs but it truly seems that i’m improving with it. My writing isn’t suffering as bad from gumps anymore and i’m more confident with my writings because I take the time to edit and make sure that it is how I want it before I send it out onto my blog.

How would you explain your voice?

My voice is still relatively nonexistent, I am an illusion afterall. Though you may not hear my voice int he real world, my blog is more powerful than my voice could ever be. It has everything you need to know about me and who I am as a person. You will never find a piece on my blog that didn’t tell you a little something about me. Give me a computer and log me into edublogs and you will get a powerful piece on it within the day.

What is stylistic of you?

I guess my outrageous use of detail and the widespread use of commas I use in my writing pieces. I don’t like many periods and my writing is fast so it can’t have many silences. My mind isn’t silent, it is loud. Very loud. My writing is my mind and my mind is my writing. It is loud; it is fast and that’s how it has always been. I like to use lots of detail and my writing is never anything but chaotic. Detail helps me to quiet my mind since it is always screaming about details. I have found my style as a writer and I couldn’t be happier.

As a mentor writer, what advice would you give to future creative writers?

Don’t delete your work. Please. I did and I regretted it immediately. No writing is ever bad and even if it is only a few words or sentences, you will complete it, it just might need some time. You will get out of your writers block you just need the right thing to push you out of it. Also, if you get inspired by something, write it down immediately. Many opportunities are lost for writing all because they didn’t write it down. Organize your thoughts and let your imagination run wild. If you have something you want to write about, do it.

Future goals and plans regarding writing?

I will write in this blog until I get tired of it but considering my mind and the world never stops, I dont think this blog will ever be deleted. I will continue to write in it and share my experiences little by little until I paint a picture in everyone’s mind about who I truly am as a person.

© 2024 Nicole – Just an Illusion — Powered by WordPress

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑

Skip to toolbar